- Per Strömgren (2016). Modeling of Traffic Performance for Swedish Roads and Motorways. Royal Institute of Technology (KTH). Doctoral Thesis.
- Johan Wahlstedt (2014). Evaluation of bus priority strategies in coordinated traffic signal systems. Royal Institute of Technology (KTH). Licenciate thesis.
- Zhen Huang (2012). A Platform for Integrated Simulation and Emissions Modeling. Royal Institute of Technology (KTH). Licentiate Thesis.
Advisor of doctoral theses
- Tuomas Toivio (2018-). Policy-based traffic control enabling smart mobility in a connected traffic environment.
- Teemu Itkonen (2015- ). Multi-level traffic simulation with gocnitive basis.
- Mehrdad Bagheri (2015-2021 ). Mobile systems for pedestrian road safety and time-relevant modal shift.
- Sanaz Bozorg Chenani (2013-2019). The effect of different road lighting levels on drivers’ visual performance under various conditions.
- Junchen Jin (2015-2018 ). Optimal and Adaptive Traffic Control for Future Intelligent Transport System. Royal Institute of Technology, Transport Planning, Economics and Engineering (TEE), Stockholm.
- Jaeyoung Kwak (2011-2017 ). Collective patterns of pedestrians interacting with attractions.
- Antero Alku (2010-2012). SIMBe (Smart Infratructures for electric vehicles).
- Kari Koskinen (2006-2009). Nanoscopic traffic simulation.
- Karel Capek (2005-2008). Real-time traffic situation modeling.
- Mu Zhou (2004-2008). Simulation of traffic model algorithms.
- Arto Hämäläinen (2002-2006). Studies of traffic situations using cellular automata.
Advisor of master theses
- Valtteri Karttunen (2020). Evaluation of street work costs and impacts in the inner city of Helsinki.
- Elisa Heimo (2020). Road safety audit beyond Trans-European road network.
- Juho Björkman (2020). Simulation principles of urban heavy rail traffic.
- Tuomas Toivio (2018). Adaptive framework with policy setting tool for fuzzy logic based traffic signal controller.
- Tomas Boril (2014). Modeling emississions on ring road of Prague.
- Hannes Keskikiikonen (2014). The potential of crowdsensing in traveling behavior studies
- Niko Setälä (2007). Traffic signal control system based on weather, road and traffic conditions
- Thomas Twietholt (2005). Calibration of two-lane rural road simulation model. M.Sc. thesis. Ruhr University of Bochum.
- Kari Koskinen (2005). Simulation of automatic persons and goods mover (APGM)
- Reetta Jokinen (2004). Simulation of signal controlled intersections with real-time traffic.
- Sampo Hietanen (2004). The business logic of mobile services for travelers – Case mobile road weather.
- Heli Mattila (2003). Real-time estimation of traffic conditions on road sections.
- Laura Lanne (2003). Microscopic simulation of bus -line operation.
- Heidi Arjamaa (2003). Planning of real-time database model for traffic.
- Vesa Laakko (1998). Three dimensional presentation of traffic simulation.
- Irfan Gul (1998). A Java interface for a GIS traffic system. M.Sc. thesis.
The Nottingham-Trent University, Department of Computing.
- Kalin Penev (1998) Geographical Information Systems: Support for Traffic Management. The Nottingham-Trent University, Department of Computing.
- Jarkko Niittymäki (1993). The calibration of HUTSIM traffic signal simulator.
Other graduate theses
- Emmerich & Courbey (2004). Visualization of traffic simulation in urban planning. French Naval Academy.
- Chabredier & David (2003). Calibration tool for microscopic traffic simulation. French Naval academy.
Software project courses T-76.115 (supervising a group work)
- Project group ITSUPS (2005). Integration of traffic simulation with urban planning system.
- Project group AMPEL (2004). Development of interactive traffic signal game. The result of the project is in permanent use in the science center HEUREKA.
Supervision of several special assignments and bachelor theses
Academic advisor for bachelor students